The perfect lunch: egg and cured salmon sandwiches featuring soft boiled eggs, cured salmon, fresh radishes and arugula, and a mustard sauce.
Life has been so busy and hectic lately! Do you guys feel the same way? I already feel like it’s been months since we returned from leisurely vacation mode, but in reality, my calendar tells me it’s only been three weeks. Between work, studying for my psychiatry in-service exam, and watching Michigan football, it’s been a rough few weeks (Michigan fans will understand!).
Which means a quick and tasty snack is exactly what I’m needing. You know what I mean: a snack for those times when you stand there with the refrigerator doors open and say to yourself, “Food! Delicious food! Appear!” Unfortunately, as adults this does not happen, I’ve learned. And so instead I’m resigned to whipping up a quick mustard sauce, soft-boiling some eggs, and throwing it all on some toast with a layer of delicate cured salmon.
I guess I can live with that. I mean, who doesn’t love cured salmon? If you want to get really fancy, you can cure your own salmon, but that requires more oodles of time than I currently have available in my schedule. So store-bought cured salmon it is! Sliced radishes and arugula add a nice refreshingly peppery bite to top it all off. This should probably be your new go-to weekend sandwich snack. I’m just sayin’.
On the semi-related note of fresh vegetables, how have the last few weeks been going for everyone’s garden? Our weather here in Michigan is just about to turn to permanent winter coldness quite soon, it seems, and so we have been harvesting the last of our tomatoes and peppers like… well, like winter is coming. (Yes, I did sneak an awesome Game of Thrones reference in there. Boom.) And so I’ve been a kitchen fiend this week, making sun-dried tomatoes and pickling banana peppers and Hungarian hot wax peppers. Why, oh why, did I plant eight pepper plants and not, like- two?
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 3-4 ounces cured or smoked salmon
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced with a knife or on a mandoline
- 1 handful arugula
- 4 eggs, soft-boiled (or hard-boiled if you prefer)
- In a small bowl, whisk together whole grain mustard, lemon juice, and a pinch of kosher salt until combined. Set aside.
- Toast bread in a toaster or in the oven. Smear a spoonful of mustard sauce over each slice. Top with smoked salmon, sliced radishes, and arugula. Cut soft-boiled eggs in half and arrange two halves on top of each toast. Drizzle with extra sauce, if desired. Enjoy!