It’s summer salad time, people! It’s been over 80 degrees on multiple days this week, so that means I’m totally in the mood for something refreshing but packed full of bright flavors, like my recipe for roasted beet and orange salad!
This is such a winning flavor combo. Bold roasted beet flavor plus light and refreshing citrus: you just can’t go wrong! I’ve been seriously obsessed with beets, and I feel like they consistently get a reputation for being a “winter vegetable.” I totally love beets in the colder months of the year, but I wholeheartedly believe they can be just as welcome and fresh on our plates in the summer. This recipe is proof!
Beets are so incredibly good for you. They are packed with tons of fiber, nutrients, vitamins and minerals – especially folic acid (perfect for all my pregnant friends out there!). Sometimes I find it hard to believe that something this delicious can be so healthy for you! 🙂
For the accompanying components of this salad, I chose mostly traditional flavor combinations but kicked them up a notch with what I think is a pretty unique and interesting presentation. Walnuts classically go with beets – but make them candied for an extra sweet surprise! Goat cheese and beets is of course the quintessential beet flavor combo, but whipping it with heavy whipping cream makes it light and airy – perfect for serving next to your grilled entree at your next summer barbecue!
Related: Herbed Goat Cheese Crostini with Roasted Beets and Arugula
Now it’s your turn: What is your favorite flavor combo featuring beets? Share with me by commenting below, and be sure to post a recipe of yours if you have a favorite!
Related: Tangy Roasted Beet Salad Dressing
- 2 large beets
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 5 oz. goat cheese
- 8 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 large oranges, broken down into individual wedges with skins removed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Wrap beets in tin foil and place on a baking sheet. (If the beets are smaller, wrap several together. If the beets are larger, it is better to wrap them individually.) Roast in the oven for one to one and a half hours, or until beets are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork or toothpick.
- While beets are roasting, prepare the other ingredients. Prepare candied walnuts by using this super easy recipe over at Natasha's Kitchen.
- Add goat cheese, heavy whipping cream, and ¼ teaspoon salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed until mixture is light and airy.
- When beets are finished, remove from the tin foil and allow to cool to room temperature. Remove beet skins, if desired. Chill beets in refrigerator. Slice thinly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and black pepper. Toss this vinaigrette with the arugula in a large mixing bowl.
- To assemble salads, scoop a large spoonful of whipped goat cheese onto the plate then top with overlapping orange wedges and beet slices. Dress with candied walnuts and dressed arugula and serve. Enjoy!