I love a good appetizer, I could literally live off them. I’d rather go to a restaurant and order a handful of appetizers to share around the table than one big entree for myself! And this recipe for mini chicken and waffles is the perfect hors d’oeuvres to take to your next dinner party!
These are just so cute, I can’t get over it! This idea popped into my head a few weeks ago while I was chomping down on a few mini waffles (like a 4 year old). I absolutely love chicken and waffles, so a miniature version was just too fun of an idea to pass up.
The only time consuming part of this recipe is the frying the chicken pieces – but it goes by quickly after you get the hang of it. And this chicken is seriously the crunchiest you’ll ever have! Adding cornstarch to the batter helps to make it extra crispy.
The rest of the recipe is simply toasting some waffles and throwing together this delicious sauce: a mixture of honey, Dijon mustard, and maple syrup. So simple, and the perfect sweet topping to this treat!
Now it’s your turn: What is your favorite hors d’oeuvres recipe? Share with me by commenting below so I can try the recipes!
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup water
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- Canola oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 16-20 mini waffles (such as Eggo waffles)
- Microgreens, for garnish (optional)
- Combine cornstarch, flour, baking soda, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add egg and water and stir to combine. Add chicken pieces and stir to coat.
- To a large heavy-bottomed skillet, add a 1 inch layer of canola oil. Heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While oil is heating, make the sauce. Add honey, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and white wine vinegar to a small mixing bowl. Stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a squeeze bottle if desired.
- Fry half the chicken pieces for about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a colander set over a plate, allowing them to drain. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Fry half the chicken pieces a second time for about 2 minutes per side, until crispy and golden. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Toast mini waffles in a toaster until golden and warm.
- To assemble each hors d'oeuvres, place 1-2 pieces of fried chicken on a mini waffle. Top with sauce and microgreens. Enjoy!
Want more delicious appetizer recipes? Sign up for the email list here:
And check out these appetizers: