There are certain dishes that will forever be meals that I associate with my childhood. One of these meals is clams with linguine and a simple white wine sauce. My dad used to make this often for us in childhood, and oddly enough we were perfectly happy to eat something as “foreign” to a child as canned clams. The smell of the delicious white wine butter sauce wafting through the house was one of my favorite scents, and I have recreated it with this white clam pizza.
I love making homemade pizzas because they are so simple and it allows you to have a lot of creative freedom in terms of choosing toppings. In this pizza, I paired simple canned clams with a duo of asiago and parmesan cheeses, as well as lots of garlic. I finished the pizza with thyme and parsley to give it some freshness.
My secret weapon when it comes to weeknight pizzas is store bought pizza dough. I know, I know: fresh homemade pizza dough just can’t be beat. And I agree – when you have the time it can be fantastic. But if you’re trying to save some time I recommend finding a delicious store bought pizza dough, and my very favorite is the Trader Joe’s brand. Their pizza dough 1) is delicious, and 2) comes in three varieties: plain, whole-wheat, and garlic-herb. Yes, please!
Store-bought pizza dough can be kind of tricky because it comes in a bag and always seems too sticky to work with at first! I recommend using a well-floured clean surface and dusting your hands and the dough with some flour before working with it. I have also found that the garlic herb variety is easiest to roll out thin if you like the cracker-crust type pizza.
Now it’s your turn: What is your all-time favorite pizza? Share with me below!
- 1 batch pizza dough
- 3 cloves garlic, minced and mashed into a paste
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 1 can littleneck clams, juices drained
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Olive oil
- Pizza stone
- Pizza peel
- Preheat pizza stone in an oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While oven is preheating, roll out pizza dough on a floured surface to desired thickness. Lightly dust your pizza peel with cornmeal. Lay the rolled out pizza dough on the pizza peel. Spread the garlic paste as evenly as possible over the pizza dough. Top with parmesan cheese, asiago cheese, clams and thyme. Spread the rest of the cornmeal on the preheated pizza stone. Transfer pizza to pizza stone and cook for 11 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven to a cutting board. Top with fresh parsley. Slice and serve.
Don’t miss a single pizza recipe:
Check out more pizza recipes here: