I love a fresh take on breakfast, mainly because I love all things breakfast. Today I share with you my recipe for an innovative way to eat eggs this morning: breakfast toasts!
Cherry tomatoes and mushrooms with eggs is one of my favorite flavor combinations for breakfast (and okay, sometimes dinner too, I won’t lie: Eggs Baked with Tomatoes and Champignons is a weeknight favorite in our house!). The tartness of the cherry tomatoes bursting as you bite in to them paired with meaty sautéed mushrooms is hard to beat, especially when you mix them with a beautiful, creamy scrambled egg.
And who agrees with me when I say that a crostini is the perfect vessel for just about any compilation of delicious food flavors? I love these breakfast toasts because they are simple and delightful to eat, and they are a nice change from the typical scrambled eggs with bacon and a side of buttered toast that normally dons our kitchen table on the weekends.
Those who have been reading the blog for a while know that I have a slightly
mild out-of-control obsession with pesto, especially fresh homemade pesto. Last week I posted a recipe for a gorgeously creamy spinach pesto pasta, and once again I share with you a spinach pesto in this recipe. It’s tangy and garlicky and full of fresh spinach flavor: the perfect finishing touch to these cute breakfast toasts!
Now it’s your turn!
What is your favorite way to spruce up your typical weekend breakfast? Share with me by commenting below!
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 3 handfuls baby spinach
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 oz. cremini mushrooms (or other gourmet mushrooms), thinly sliced
- 4-5 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 eggs
- 6 small slices crusty bread
- To a food processor, add garlic cloves and pulse until finely minced. Add walnuts and baby spinach. Pulse to combine. With food processor running, slowly stream in the olive oil through the top funnel. Pulse until smooth. Pesto will be more liquid than normal. Transfer pesto to a bowl and add parmesan cheese, stirring until combined.
- Preheat broiler to high. Heat butter and olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When butter has melted, add mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, until cherry tomatoes have softened slightly and mushrooms are golden.
- While mushrooms and tomatoes are cooking, whisk eggs in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add eggs to the cast iron skillet. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until creamy and scrambled.
- While eggs are cooking, toast bread under the broiler for 3-4 minutes. Watch carefully so as not to burn your bread.
- To assemble dish, top each piece of toasted bread with some egg, mushroom and tomato mixture. Then drizzle spinach pesto on top. Enjoy!