A refreshing roasted corn summer salad featuring charred corn, grilled green peppers, and tons of fresh herbs and cheese all mixed together with a tangy Greek yogurt dressing.
One of the things I distinctly remember about my childhood summers is shucking corn on the back porch with my grandpa. I vaguely remember the requirement that it be done outside was because of those little “hairs,” also called corn silk, and how they got everywhere. So my grandpa and my sister and I would grab all the ears of corn from the refrigerator, get a big brown paper bag from the cupboard where my mom used to store them, and haul everything out to our back deck to shuck corn.
Seriously, those little hairs do get everywhere. (Although I’ll still admit to occasionally shucking corn over the garbage bin in our kitchen as an adult.) It’s funny how we remember these small aspects from our childhood. Maybe this is why I love corn so much today!
And I especially I love a good summer salad, like this roasted corn summer salad! It’s simple to assemble and involves cheese. Lots of cheese! Excellent. It’s the perfect addition to any barbecue or grilling event, since you can just grill these veggies right alongside your protein of choice!
First, you’ll roast the corn and the green bell pepper on the grill. You could also do this over a gas flame stove if it’s not “grilling weather” outside. While the veggies cool, you can prepare this simple mayonnaise and Greek yogurt based sauce before tossing the veggies with the sauce, tons of fresh herbs, and lots of grated cotija cheese. Have I mentioned just how much I love cotija?!
Related: Grilled Ancho Chili Burgers
Now it’s your turn: what is your favorite summer side salad? Share with me by commenting below!
- 6 ears corn, shucked
- 1 whole green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Heat a grill to medium high heat. Grill corn and green bell pepper until charred, about 15-20 minutes for the corn and 10 minutes for the green pepper, turning until they are charred almost all over. Set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice and salt. Season with extra salt if needed. Set aside.
- Cut corn from the cobs and dice the green bell pepper. Add both vegetable to a large mixing bowl with the herbs, cheeses, and pine nuts. Toss to combine. Add about half the sauce and toss until evenly coated. Add more sauce as desired. Top with extra cheese before serving, if desired.