On this sunny Saturday morning I’m celebrating the beauty of brunch with my quick chocolate strawberry oatmeal!
So I have a confession. This recipe is literally the first time I’ve ever made oatmeal from scratch. The kind where you poor the oats fresh from the canister and cook them over the stove. I know! But when I was growing up, the instant oatmeal in the packets that were pre-flavored as “peach” or “strawberry” were my go-to breakfast choices on those busy school day mornings!
This oatmeal has come a long way from that oatmeal, and it’s super tasty and delicious for these lazy Saturday mornings. The strawberry oatmeal features frozen strawberries, honey, and yummy brown sugar. It’s topped with these tasty mini chocolate chips that melt right into the creamy oatmeal, giving it an even richer flavor profile! Fresh strawberries (and extra honey!) are the perfect garnish.
Now it’s your turn: what are you having for breakfast today? Share with me by commenting below!
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup frozen whole strawberries
- ½ tbsp. honey
- ½ tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp. mini chocolate chips
- Fresh strawberries, sliced
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add rolled oats and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- While oats are toasting, add frozen strawberries, honey, and brown sugar to a medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat. Stir often, and as the strawberries begin to warm, mash them with the back of a wooden spoon to help break up the fruit. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, until much of the juice is released from the fruit. Add salt and milk, stirring until combined. Increase heat to high and allow to come to a boil.
- Once milk and strawberry mixture is boiling, add toasted oats and stir until combined. Turn heat to medium-low and allow to simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and use a whisk to stir oatmeal a few times. Allow to sit, covered, for 2 minutes to absorb the remaining liquid.
- When oatmeal is finished, serve in bowls topped with fresh strawberries, mini chocolate chips, and extra honey if desired. The mini chocolate chips will melt right into the oatmeal when served warm! Enjoy!