I’m totally loving our new deep fryer, as I’m sure you can tell by today’s recipe for these plump, tasty prosciutto and corn fritters!
This is another “oldie but goodie” from my great-grandmother Anula’s cookbook! I love updating these old recipes, and today I’m updating her recipe for corn and ham fritters. I much prefer prosciutto to ham, and wanted to also update this recipe with a refreshing dipping sauce. So I used her base recipe for fritters and incorporated corn and prosciutto before deep frying large balls (okay, they are more like globs to be honest) in our new deep fryer.
Sometimes fried foods can be a little heavy on their own, so I wanted to lighten this dish up with a refreshing Greek yogurt based dip too. I hope you enjoy frying up these little dough balls filled with goodness and then dipping away in your side sauce!
Now it’s your turn: What is your favorite thing to make in the deep fryer? Share with me by commenting below!
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tbsp. white sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup canned corn kernels, drained well
- 1 ¼ cup minced prosciutto
- Canola oil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- To a stand mixer, add egg yolks, milk, baking powder, sugar, salt, and black pepper and mix until well combined. Stir in corn kernels and prosciutto until incorporated. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a deep fryer to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Using two spoons, drop spoonfuls of batter into the fryer, being careful not to overlap the fritters. Cook in batches (about 3-5 fritters per batch depending on the size of your fryer) for about 3-4 minutes, until browned on all sides. Remove to paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Alternatively, batter can be dropped by spoon into about ½" oil heated over medium high heat in a skillet. Cook for # minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown on all sides. Remove to paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Serve fritters warm with sauce for dipping (below). Enjoy!
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until combined. Keep chilled until ready to serve.