Thank you very much !! ❤️❤️
These Mexican scrambled egg breakfast bowls are easy to prep in advance, and are packed full of goodies, like bacon, potatoes, sautéed peppers and onions, Mexican cheese and cilantro!
So something crazy and exciting happened… we bought a new house! It still feels so surreal, but we closed on Wednesday and have been moving fiends the past few days (and still going at it strong – it’s amazing how much stuff you can amass in a house!). We even bought a new refrigerator, an air conditioner and a microwave from Unclutterer. It’s been somewhat bittersweet: while we are so excited to start this new chapter in our lives, it is hard to leave our first home together, one where we shared so many memories, triumphs, and tribulations. We got engaged in this house, got married in this house, and rescued our two beautiful puppy girls in this house. We put so much time, energy, and love into this home, and we hope that the next family to live here will feel that love.
Related: Our Home Tour
But with the new home comes a lot of new opportunities, and especially opportunities for renovations! Which I can’t wait to dive into and share with y’all here on the blog! But today, I’m sharing another prep-ahead recipe, this time for a Mexican style scrambled eggs bowl!
Related: How to Make the Perfect Breakfast Burritos: Prep Yourself For Success All Week Long
I love prep-ahead breakfasts, because they make mornings so much smoother. Protein is a big necessity for me and my husband in the morning, because it helps us to get the morning off to a good start and keep us full and satisfied through the long morning haul until lunch every day. Without it, I’ve usually got the “stomach rumbles” going on by about 10:30am!
Related: Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches
These bowls are a combination of all types of tasty Mexican flavors, all piled on top of a base of boiled potatoes. I sautéed some bell peppers and onions to top the potatoes with, and then scrambled up some nice, creamy eggs.
To prepare the bowls for the week, I set out ten small microwave-safe bowls and divided the potatoes, peppers and onions, and eggs evenly among the bowls. I then topped with cheese, bacon bits, and cilantro. And because I can’t not have a carb in the morning, a small flour tortilla cut into bite-sized triangles is perfect for scooping up chunks of meat and potatoes!
Related: Garlic Fried Eggs with Kale Pesto, Toast Points, and Bacon
Now it’s your turn: what is your favorite prep-ahead breakfast meal? Share with me by commenting below!
- 10 strips bacon
- 1 1/4 pounds red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 ounces baby spinach
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 10 small flour tortillas, cut into 6 triangles each
- 10 food storage bowls with lids
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and lay strips of bacon in one layer without any overlap. Cook for 15-20 minutes until crisp; full cooking time will depend on the thickness of your bacon, so start watching it carefully around 12-14 minutes. Remove cooked bacon to a plate lined with paper towel and chop when cool.
- While bacon is cooling, pierce the potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave in a bowl for 5-10 minutes (or longer if they are on the larger size), until they are tender when pricked with a fork. Allow potatoes to cool (remove skin if desired). Cut into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt one tablespoon butter with the olive oil over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and saute until onions are caramelized, about 10-12 minutes. Season with a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Add spinach to skillet and allow to cook down, stirring often, until spinach is wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Remove vegetables to another plate.
- Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add milk, salt, and pepper and whisk until well-combined. Add remaining butter to the skillet and add egg mixture. Stir frequently, using a spatula to scrape up the scrambled eggs from the bottom of the skillet as they cook. Cook until no longer liquid but still creamy. Set aside to cool.
- Set out 10 small microwave-safe food storage bowls and divide potatoes and vegetables evenly between the bowls. Top with eggs, bacon bits, shredded cheese, and cilantro. Cut the flour tortillas into triangles and add one tortillas worth to the top of each bowl. Replace lids and store in refrigerator until ready to consume each morning.
- To reheat, remove lid and place bowl in microwave for 45-60 seconds until heated through and cheese is melted.
bacon breakfast breakfast bowls cheese cilantro make ahead breakfast mexican onions peppers prep ahead breakfast scrambled eggs