One of my least favorite things about baking cookies is that hard crumbly texture they get a few days later. I mean, you can’t eat a whole batch of cookies in 48 hours. (Okay, I guess I mean you shouldn’t eat a whole batch of cookies in 48 hours.) These cookies though – these peanut butter oatmeal drop cookies keep for days and days!
It really was quite exciting after I tested this recipe and found the cookies to be absolutely delicious – full of peanut butter-y and oatmeal-y and honey goodness. And then when I tried (yet) another cookie like…a week later, they were still super chewy and soft. Jackpot! I am by no means a baking expert, so someone please correct me in the comments below if I’m wrong, but I believe it’s the shortening as well as the honey that help the cookies to hold this incredible texture for so long.
Beyond the amazing consistency of these cookies is that incredible medley of flavors. Peanut butter and chocolate is pretty much a flavor combination sent from heaven, amiright? The richness of the chocolate and the creaminess of the peanut butter are then beautifully balanced with a nutty flavor from the oatmeal and sweetness from the addition of honey. I am so crazy about this drop cookie flavor combo!
You will not be disappointed if you try this recipe out. And be sure to overnight mail me a few too! 🙂
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. shortening
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup oats
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- To a mixing bowl, add butter, peanut butter and shortening. Beat on medium to high speed until softened and combined.
- In a separate smaller mixing bowl, combine sugar, honey and eggs. Whisk until combined.
- Add half the flour, the baking soda, and half the liquid mixture to the larger mixing bowl, beating until combined. Add the rest of the flour, the oats, and the rest of the liquid mixture and beat until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place cookie batter in refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, drop spoonfuls of dough about 2 inches apart from each other. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Check out some other delicious desserts here: