Looking for a brunch recipe that will pack a huge flavor punch without too much time? Try my garlic fried eggs with kale pesto!
If I had to pick one food I couldn’t live without, it’d probably have to be eggs. I mean think about it: they make up so much of what we eat, including what we bake. And a good egg recipe is pretty much a prerequisite for a delicious brunch in our household! We even make breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs in them every week because even in our busy hectic day-to-day lives, a protein-packed breakfast makes for a more productive day.
These garlic fried eggs with kale pesto are another great, simple brunch idea featuring the deliciousness that is eggs. These ones are fried sunny side up in… garlic butter. Yes, a bunch of garlic fried until golden brown and fragrant in some butter… and then you coat your eggs in it. Amazing.
With this technique, it’s all about the basting. You want to use a small spoon to scoop up as much garlicky goodness from the bottom of the pan as possible and drizzle it over the top of the eggs. The hot butter will help to cook the egg whites from the top so that you end up with perfectly runny sunny side up egg yolks, but whites that are fully cooked. Plus, the garlic imparts a delicious kick to the eggs. Yum!
Equally tasty are the sides I’ve paired these eggs with. Everyone loves pesto, but what about kale pesto with breakfast? Yes, try it. Right now. You know you want to. A lemony vinaigrette featuring bacon fat drizzled over top completes the dish, and buttery toast points and crispy bacon strips are the perfect vessels for soaking up all that yolky goodness.
Related: Baked Egg Breakfast Tarts with Prosciutto
Now it’s your turn: what is your favorite way to prepare eggs for brunch? Let me know by commenting below!
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped and packed
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 4 strips bacon, fried and cut in half
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 1 ½ to 2 oz.)
- 3 tbsp. bacon fat, reserved from frying bacon
- ⅛ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 slices of thick cut white bread, sliced into 6 "sticks" (see photos)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 4 eggs
- Combine garlic, kale and pine nuts, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until roughly combined. With food processor running, stream in olive oil.
- Whisk together lemon juice, bacon fat, kosher salt, and black pepper until combined.
- In the pan used to fry bacon, melt butter over medium heat. Add bread and toast on all sides until golden brown and crispy.
- In a small frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Fry garlic until it starts to turn golden brown, for about 4-5 minutes. Crack two of the eggs into the pan and use a small spoon to baste the eggs with the melted butter and garlic mixture. Cook until whites are firm, about 2-3 minutes. Remove eggs from pan and cook the remaining two eggs in the same method.
- Serve eggs with bacon and kale pesto and a drizzle of vinaigrette on top. Enjoy!