These strawberries and cream scones will be your new favorite way to start the week!
Hello, Monday! It’s always a little rough starting a new week, so you should definitely start it by treating yourself to a delicious strawberries and cream scone! I love this recipe. I adapted a traditional scone recipe from James Beards’ book, Beard on Bread. For anyone who likes to bake or is interested in getting started baking, this is the quintessential bread baking book! My husband loves to make all kinds of bread, and so I purchased it for him originally but found myself using it regularly too!
Related: French Breakfast Puffs
Beard hit the nail on the head with this basic scone recipe: the texture is divine! I added some fresh strawberries to the batter for the “strawberries” component in one of my favorite classic flavor combos: strawberries and cream. The “cream” part is what I think makes this extra special: I made a simple, traditional creme anglaise recipe to drizzle all over those luscious warm scones right out of the oven. Serve these for brunch and the kids will be begging for them for dessert too!
Now it’s your turn: what is your favorite way to start the week out right? It could be a recipe or just a ritual habit that you have (or even your favorite Starbucks drink order!) – share with me by commenting below!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup strawberries, finely diced
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. white sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, granulated sugar, and salt until combined. Add buttermilk and strawberries and stir until combined. Turn out onto a well floured surface and gently knead for about 6-10 times. Form dough into a circle shape that is about 1 to 1 ½ inches thick. Cut into 8 equal pieces and place on prepared baking sheet.
- When oven is heated, bake scones for 15-18 minutes until they have turned a golden brown on top. Serve warm with creme anglaise (recipe below) and fresh strawberries. Enjoy!
- In a medium sized saucepan over low-medium heat, combine milk and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla extract.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk egg yolks and white sugar until combined. Gradually whisk the heated milk and cream into the yolk and sugar mixture. Return the sauce to the saucepan and stir over low heat until thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Strain sauce into a serving dish. Serve warm or at room temperature over scones. Enjoy!
- Recipe for scones was adapted from James Beards book, Beard on Bread.