Happy Fourth of July, everyone! It’s a great day for sharing our favorite foods, and my recipe for 30 minute orzo pasta salad is exactly what you need to bring to your cookout today!
How will you be celebrating our independence today? Hopefully it’s with lots of food, friends, and fireworks! My favorite thing about the holidays is sharing delicious recipes and tasty drinks with friends and family. It’s what brings us together and one of the biggest reasons why we cook!
This orzo pasta salad recipe is the perfect one to take with you to your party or gathering tonight. It comes together in just 30 minutes (#winning!) and is super tasty and refreshing! I love orzo especially because it’s technically in my favorite food category (pasta!) but it’s in these cute little rice-like shapes!
This orzo I paired with beautiful cherry tomatoes. I get them to “burst” by cooking them for about 10 minutes in a pan with some olive oil, gently pressing on the back of them with a spoon. This gives them a richer flavor than fresh raw cherry tomatoes would have, but by all means use raw if you prefer that flavor profile.
I then combine the cherry tomatoes with the orzo, salty feta, and fresh fragrant basil, with a bit of fresh squeezed lemon juice and white wine vinegar to make all the flavors pop.
Now it’s your turn! What recipes will you be bringing to your friends and family tonight? Share with me by commenting below!
- 1 ½ cups orzo
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup basil, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ⅛ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook orzo according to package instructions until al dente. Drain orzo and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Transfer orzo to a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add cherry tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften and burst when a spoon is pressed against them, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute. Remove from stove transfer to bowl with orzo, using a spatula to get all the oil out of the pan.
- To the same bowl, add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Season with extra salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Enjoy!
- Salad can be served warm, at room temperature, or chilled.