If you are as in love with your crockpot as I am, you’ve gotta try these mini crockpot chicken enchiladas asap!
We go crazy for Mexican food in this household! Like literally every Thursday is Mexican Night – tacos, quesadillas, and especially enchiladas are our favorites. And since there’s nothing better than tasty seasoned meat stewing for hours in a crockpot, I decided to make these crockpot chicken enchiladas – in miniature form!
Like seriously, how adorable are these? I love how they are a fresh individualized take on a classic Mexican staple food, and they are so fun to assemble! For those of you with children, this would be a fun family cooking session!
Related: 500+ Crockpot Girls Recipes
So let’s talk about this chicken. It is so crazy simple that it makes me want to use my crockpot every night! I took chicken breast and threw it into the crockpot with tomato puree and tomato paste, and a whole heap of tasty Mexican inspired flavors, like red chili powder, oregano, cumin, and coriander. I think oregano is a vastly underrated herb, and I thought it would fit in perfectly with the spiciness of the chili powder!
Next comes the fun part: layering the enchiladas! Everyone can grab a stack of tortillas and a spoon and start assembling their own enchilada: start with a tortilla, top with shredded chicken, tomato sauce, and a layer of shredded white cheddar. After you’ve created three layers, top the last tortilla with a heaping spoonful of tomato sauce and some more cheddar before popping these babies into the oven.
Related: Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Tacos
Related: Ancho Achiote Shredded Chicken Tacos
Now it’s your turn: what is your favorite use for your crockpot? Share with me by commenting below! I would love to get some more ideas for what to cook in my new crockpot!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried cumin
- ½ tsp. dried coriander
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Gordita-sized flour tortillas (about 5" diameter)
- 3 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Place chicken breast in the bottom of a crockpot. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together chicken stock, tomato puree, tomato paste, red chili powder, dried oregano, cumin, coriander, and salt until combined. Pour over the chicken breasts. Place lid on the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours.
- About 30 minutes prior to finishing chicken, prepare other toppings. To prepare sauce, combine tomato puree, dried oregano, red chili powder, and kosher salt in a medium-sized bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- When chicken is finished cooking, shred meat and stir to combine with juices in the crockpot.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. To assemble enchiladas, lay a tortilla on the parchment paper. Top with a thin layer of chicken followed by a spoonful of the tomato sauce. Add about ¼ cup shredded white cheddar. Repeat this to form a total of three layers. To finish off each enchilada, top with a tortilla. Cover with a thin layer of sauce and a layer of cheese. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes. Turn broiler to high and broil for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
- To serve, top with lots of fresh cilantro. Enjoy!