Individual desserts are about as cute as it gets. And I’ve got such a cute one for you guys today: these mini chocolate cakes with marshmallow mint whipped cream will impress even the pickiest party guest, and are so simple to make!
Man do I love to peruse Pinterest. I mean, who doesn’t? And that site is full of the prettiest desserts you’ve ever seen! One idea that I saw multiple times and just couldn’t get out of my head was the idea of individual mini cakes for dinner party guests. Serving those cute little cakes each on their own plate was something I definitely wanted to try!
Surprise! This recipe just uses regular boxed cake. Seriously! Pick your favorite boxed cake and then just spruce it up with a few simple additions. Here I opted for a homemade whipped cream instead of traditional frosting in order to help lighten up the dessert. I love the mint and chocolate combination, and so I threw in a little mint extract and of course some marshmallow fluff to make it extra special!
To lighten up the dish, I finished it off with fresh sliced strawberries for a refreshing touch. I just love the layers and layers of cake, sandwiched with beautiful fluffy pillows of whipped cream goodness!
Now it’s your turn: what is your favorite individual dessert recipe? Share with me by commenting below!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (plus remaining ingredients)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp. mint extract
- ¾ cup marshmallow fluff
- Fresh strawberries
- Mini marshmallows
- Mint leaves (for garnish, optional)
- Line a 16x11 inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven and prepare cake batter according to instructions on box. Pour cake batter onto prepared baking sheet and use a spatula to spread it out in a thin even layer. Cook in preheated oven for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center is clean when removed. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool about 15 minutes.
- Use a # inch biscuit cutter to cut 6 rounds out of the cake sheet. Transfer mini-cake layers to a baking rack, allowing to cool completely.
- While cake layers are cooling, prepare whipped cream. To a stand mixer with whisk attachment, add heavy whipping cream, mint extract, and marshmallow fluff. Beat on medium high speed until stiff peaks form. Watch closely to prevent over whipping.
- To assemble cakes, place one cake layer on a plate and top with a spoonful of whipped cream. Place a second cake layer on top and push down gently so that some of the cream falls out the sides. Repeat with a second dollop of whipped cream and a third cake layer. Finish the cake with a dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with fresh strawberries and mini marshmallows. Enjoy!