Looking for a sweet individualized treat for the summer? Try my cute mini caramelized pineapple pound cake, with homemade whipped cream!
I can’t believe it’s been over a month and a half since we returned from our honeymoon cruise in Europe! It was an unbelievable experience, one that the husband and I are already planning on returning to next fall (Western Mediterranean this time!). We visited Italy, Turkey, and Greece, and of course I was always on the lookout for pretty things to add to my food blog photography prop collection!
I found these gorgeous hand-painted appetizer plates in a little shop in Kusadasi, Turkey, which was one of our favorite stops on our journey. We had a wonderful times roaming the streets and stalls, looking for good deals and good food. After I picked up these gorgeous plates, we stopped for lunch at a seaside restaurant where we sat on the deck and watched the waves go by. I never wanted to leave!
Today I’m filling up these beautiful plates with yet another miniature dish: pineapple pound cake! I took a simple pound cake and turned it into a cute miniaturized dessert, then topped it with caramelized pineapple sauce with rum, and a homemade whipped cream.
Now it’s your turn: what is your most memorable vacation and what souvenirs and treasures did you bring home from it? Let me know by commenting below!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups frozen pineapple pieces
- 4 tbsp. white rum
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 ramekins (3 ½" diameter)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray ramekins generously with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until combined. Add eggs ones at a time and mix until just combined. Add vanilla extract, lemon juice, and salt and mix until combined again. Add flour and stir until combined. Divide batter evenly among the prepared ramekins. Bake in heated oven for 27-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool slightly before removing from ramekins and allowing to cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- While the cakes bake, prepare sauce and whipped cream (see below). To serve, top cakes with sauce and a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!
- Combine frozen pineapple, white rum, brown sugar, and nutmeg in a small sauce pan over low heat. Allow to simmer until liquid is released from pineapple pieces and they begin to break down, about 12-15 minutes.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine heavy whipping cream, white sugar, and vanilla extract. Whip on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over whip.