The holidays are all about sharing loved traditions with our friends and families. One of my personal favorite traditions that I have developed over the years is baking a triple batch (seriously!) of these peanut butter chocolate kiss cookies and filling up multiple cookie tins full of them to share with all of my closest friends and family members. Read on for the delicious recipe!
I couldn’t even tell you the first time I had these cookies – it was that long ago – but I know it was my mom that made me that first batch. My mom has always loved peanut butter more than anyone I know. I can recall days in high school when I would come home at the end of the day to find her sitting on the sofa watching soap operas and eating a spoonful of peanut butter, fresh out of the jar.
Eventually when I began to develop my own love for cooking and baking, I found a copy of this recipe on the Betty Crocker website. I immediately was reminded of memories of my mom making these very same cookies for me, and I have now been making them myself every holiday season since then!
Related: Coconut Coffee Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.
At the base of this recipe is a traditional peanut butter dough. The real delicious secrets of this recipe lie in the finishing of the cookies: first they are rolled in a light coating of sugar on the outside before baking. Second, a delicious chocolate kiss lies at the center of each cookie for a sweet chocolate-y treat with each bite!
P.S. Check out these beautiful bright blue Anchor Hocking vintage plates! I love them so much, and I have a set of 8 dessert plates for sale in my Etsy store here!
Now it’s your turn: what are your holiday traditions? Share with me by commenting below or make your favorite traditional holiday recipes and tag @thecharmingdetroiter on Instagram!
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 24 Hershey's kisses milk chocolate candies, unwrapped
- Additional white sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, beat sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter, butter, and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Stir in flour, baking soda and baking powder until dough forms a ball.
- Pour about 1/2 cup extra sugar into a shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll each dough ball in the sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Press 1 chocolate kiss candy firmly in the center of each cookie. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 2 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and allow to cool for several minutes before removing cookies to a cooling rack.
Be sure to join the email list for more cookie recipes in the future!