Homemade dumplings are a favorite go-to meal for me, mainly because they are super easy to make in a large batch and then store in the freezer for quick, delicious weeknight meals when you just don’t really feel like cooking. And my chicken thigh and shrimp potstickers are a perfect addition to your weeknight meal repertoire!
Back in the spring of 2015 I touted my love for dim sum. This still holds true even more so today; I just love a table filled with all sorts of dumplings, steamed buns, veggies, and more!
My “go-to” dumpling recipe shave usually been Shrimp Har Gow, or a simple ground pork dumpling. I wanted to mix it up this time with some chicken thigh meat. While chicken breast is usually considered more traditional, I really enjoy the dark meat of the thigh and thought it would also be great to add a bit of fat into the dumplings with some of that chicken skin!
Be sure to mince the chicken skin up fairly finely before adding it to your dumpling mixture. This is because I have found that the food processor does not do as good of a job of cutting up the skin as it does the actual chicken thigh meat, and you want to avoid having large pieces of the skin in your dumplings.
Now it’s your turn: what is your favorite type of dumpling filling? Let me know by commenting below!
- 8 oz. chicken thigh, chopped roughly with a bit of the skin finely minced
- 8 oz prawns, deshelled, and deveined
- 1/2 carrot, grated
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Dumpling wrappers
- Add chicken thigh and prawns to a food processor and process until pureed into a paste. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add carrot, green onion, oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, cornstarch, and black pepper. Stir until combined. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Fill dumplings with filling. Dumplings can be steamed or panfried right away, or they can be frozen and steamed at a later date. (Do not defrost before steaming frozen dumplings.)