A recipe for slow cooker chicken carnitas tacos featuring tortillas topped with spicy crockpot chicken carnitas, fresh red onion, cherry tomato slices, cotija cheese and fresh crema.
What a week. My husband has been out of town on a work trip, and on Monday we had a thunderstorm roll through town. Our finished basement flooded with 5 inches of sewer water, and not even 24 hours later our power went out as well. Being homeowner is trying, sometimes.
This was the second time in this home that our basement has flooded, and luckily our city finally seems to be doing something about the sewer system. I’m just about ready for a relaxing Labor Day weekend, followed by 2 weeks in Europe. This girl needs a vacation!
And I’m super ready for some tasty homemade tacos, like my recipe for these crockpot chicken carnitas tacos. I’m kind of obsessed with this crockpot of ours. We received it as a wedding gift, and it makes life so easy and tasty! For this recipe, I added chicken breast to the crockpot along with broth, tomatoes, taco seasoning, brown sugar, garlic, and chipotle chilis in adobo. The brown sugar adds a sweet note, and the taco seasoning adds all those tasty Mexican flavors we all love! Let it stew for 4 hours on high, and start preparing the toppings about 30-45 minutes before the timer is up!
Related: Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Tacos
What is your favorite way to use your crockpot? Share your recipes with me below – I’m always looking for new crockpot recipes to try!
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 canned chipotle chilis in adobo, minced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 large red onion, finely minced
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely minced
- 2-3 ounces grated cotija
- 8 small flour tortillas
- In a slow cooker, whisk together chicken broth, tomatoes, taco seasoning, brown sugar, garlic powder, and chipotle chilis until combined. Add chicken breasts and turn to coat. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on high for 4 hours.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare crema. Whisk together sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and kosher salt in a small mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- About 30 minutes prior to the end of the cooking time for the chicken, remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred meat. Return meat to slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cover with lid and finish cooking. Prepare remaining toppings (red onion, cherry tomatoes, etc.) at this time.
- Char tortillas over an open flame, or warm in a microwave for 10-12 seconds between two damp paper towels. Serve tortillas topped with chicken, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, cotija, and crema.