When it’s this hot outside, easy is the name of the game, and my BBQ chicken skewers are the winners!
Today is an exciting day! A close family friend of ours is getting married tonight, and I couldn’t be happier for her! This seems to be the summer of weddings: this will be number five and we still have two left in the season! 🙂
But even if you aren’t celebrating a wedding today, you should definitely be celebrating these beautiful late summer days! Get in your last nights of grilling because I promise you it will be cold soon! And there is no better way to celebrate the grill than with a simple delicious recipe like my BBQ chicken skewers. I filed some skewers full of chicken, bell peppers, and red onions and slathered them in a quick glaze of balsamic vinegar (yum!) and barbecue sauce. Use your favorite barbecue sauce here, and let it simmer with some balsamic vinegar until it’s nice and thick and delicious. The sauce gives a perfectly sophisticated flavor profile to this backyard grilling favorite!
Now it’s your turn: what’s your favorite recipe for grilling in the summer? Share with me by commenting below: I’d love some more ideas on what to grill before it starts snowing later this year!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into large 1 ½" to 2" cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large 1 ½" to 2" pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into large 1 ½" to 2" pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large 1 ½" to 2" pieces
- 1 large white onion, cut into large 1 ½" to 2" pieces
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- While grill heats, prepare skewers. Alternating between chicken, bell peppers, and onions, skewer all vegetables and chicken. Be sure to leave a small amount of space in between the pieces on the skewer. (Tip: Before skewering the onion pieces, remove the center 3-4 layers. This may happen naturally, but they are easier to skewer if they are only the outer few layers or so. Use your good judgment!) Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine balsamic vinegar, barbecue sauce, honey, butter, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Allow to simmer on low heat while you cook the skewers.
- When grill is hot, rub the grates with a paper towel soaked slightly in vegetable or olive oil. Cook chicken for about 10-12 minutes total, rotating between sides until nicely charred on all sides. About 1 minute before taking them off the grill, baste with the balsamic barbecue sauce. After removing from grill, baste skewers once more with sauce.
- To eat, remove meat and vegetables from skewers and serve hot from the grill. Enjoy!