This looks crazy good. I didn’t even know there was a National Egg Month.. I feel like every day should be egg day haha. Hooray for eggs! Plus you can’t go wrong with puff pastry right!?
It’s National Egg Month! Have you ever heard of anything so glorious? I have not. So to celebrate, I’m making my beautiful baked egg breakfast tarts!
There is something so relaxing about waking up a little later on the weekends and heading down to the kitchen for a nice cup of freshly brewed coffee and some delicious breakfast. I’m a big breakfast person: French toast, pancakes, eggs, you name it!
But at the moment, I’m currently on a rotation at work where I don’t get weekends off 🙁 And when you don’t have something you love (like homemade breakfast on the weekends!), that is when you really start to realize how much you miss it!
These breakfast tarts are a perfect choice for fellow breakfast and brunch lovers like myself. The way they are built makes them look like little boats just waiting to be filled with all sorts of goodies: in this case, creamy fresh eggs, prosciutto, sharp cheddar cheese, and a refreshing salad to top it all off.
Just look at that bite: I mean, really the only thing that could make this situation more perfect would be a mimosa in the other hand, amiright?!
Related: Prosciutto and Fried Egg Breakfast Tacos
To assemble your tarts, you will need one sheet of puff pastry to make two tarts. First, start by cutting the puff pastry square in half. Then, cut one of those halves in half again. You should have three pieces of puff pastry, as shown below:
The two squares on the left will become the “bottoms” to your tarts. Brush the edges of them with egg wash. Take the one long rectangular piece of puff pastry on the right and slice it into four even strips, like so:
Now, cut each of those long strips in half widthwise so you are left with 8 short rectangles. Fold each of these rectangle in half lengthwise. Using four of these folded rectangles per tart, lay them in an overlapping pattern around the edges of the tart where you brushed with egg wash:
Next you are ready to prebake these for about 4-5 minutes before loading on the toppings! These would be equally good with eggs and whatever veggies and cheeses you have lying around. Perhaps sliced mushrooms, tomatoes, and some gruyere cheese? Yum!
Now it’s your turn: what is your favorite weekend ritual that you miss during the work week? Share with me by commenting below!
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 eggs, whole
- 1 slice prosciutto, shredded
- 1 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup spring greens
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut puff pastry sheet in half and set one half aside. Take the first half and cut it in half again to form two squares. (See photos above for visual explanation.) Spray a small baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and lay the two squares of puff pastry on baking sheet. Brush edges of each square with egg wash.
- Cut the remaining half of the puff pastry lengthwise into 4 strips. Cut each strip in half and then fold in half lengthwise. You should now have 8 skinny folded strips of puff pastry. Using 4 strips of puff pastry per square, place the strips around the edges of the previously cut squares of puff pastry, overlapping at the corners. Press down slightly to help seal the edges. Repeat with the second set of 4 strips of puff pastry on the second square. Bake in preheated oven for 4-5 minutes, until just slightly set.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Crack two eggs into each puff pastry tart. Top each with shredded prosciutto and about ½ tablespoon of heavy cream per puff pastry. Season with salt and black pepper. Return baking sheet to oven for 10 minutes.
- While tarts are baking, combine olive oil, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of black pepper in a small bowl and whisk until emulsified. Add spring greens to a medium sized bowl and toss with vinaigrette until evenly coated.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and top each puff pastry with cheddar cheese. Return baking sheet to oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from tray and transfer puff pastry tarts to plates. Top each with prepared spring greens and serve. Enjoy!
Related: Scrambled Egg Breakfast Toasts
baked egg tarts baked eggs breakfast tarts brunch tarts cheddar egg tarts prosciutto spring greens