It’s taco time, you guys! Today I’m sharing my recipe for these slow cooker Asian chicken tacos, with pickeled carrots and homemade crema!
We got so many cool new gadgets as gifts for our wedding shower and wedding over the past few months – we are so blessed to have such amazing family and friends! One of my favorites is our new slow cooker, and I wasted no time breaking this baby out of the box to make these shredded Asian chicken tacos!
It’s really quite amazing: load up the slow cooker with plain old chicken breasts and a bunch of delicious ingredients – like soy sauce, gochujang, ginger paste, garlic paste, and hoisin sauce – and let it stew for 4 hours. And you are left with tasty, flavor-packed shredded chicken to load into your charred tortillas!
To pair with this luscious shredded chicken, I made some simple white rice to put down underneath the chicken. It provides a beautiful base that soaks up all the tasty juices from the chicken. I also love to pair lots of fresh ingredients with my tacos, and so I put together a quick pickled carrot to top the shredded Asian chicken tacos with. I also prepared a simple crema, which is just about my favorite thing to put on tacos, for real! Crisp green onions also provide a fresh finish to the dish.
Now it’s your turn: What is your favorite use for your slow cooker? Share with me by commenting below – I can’t wait to hear your ideas!
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. white sugar
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- ¾ cup carrot, julienned into 2" strips
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Add onion to the bottom of a slow cooker in one even thin layer. Top with chicken breast. In a bowl, whisk together chicken stock, soy sauce, gochujang, garlic paste, ginger paste, hoisin sauce, and fish sauce until combined. Pour over chicken. Cook for 4 hours on high heat.
- About 1 hour prior to chicken being finished, prepare the other toppings, including rice, pickled carrots, and crema (recipes below). Just prior to assembling tacos, char tortillas over an open flame for about 10-12 seconds per side. To assemble tacos, heap a spoonful of rice onto each tortilla and smash down with a spoon to form a "bowl" for the toppings to sit inside. Top with shredded chicken, pickled carrots, green onions, and crema. Enjoy!
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine white vinegar, water, salt, sugar, peppercorns, and mustard seeds. Allow to simmer gently until combined. Add carrots to an airtight container (for example, I use a pint-sized mason jar). When salt and sugar has dissolved, pour pickling liquid over the carrots. Allow to cool completely in refrigerator prior to sealing with lid.
- Whisk together sour cream, whipping cream, and salt in a small bowl. Cover with saran wrap and allow to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before transferring to airtight container (for example, I use these squeeze bottles with lids).