I miss Detroit.
I mean, yes: I live roughly 15 minutes outside of the downtown area. Which is like, nothing at all. But 15 minutes is still 15 minutes, and it still means I can’t just walk down the street to my favorite bar for cocktails and appetizers.
During my first two years of medical school, I lived in the Midtown area of Detroit. While I adore the city and home that we currently live in, I absolutely loved my time down in Detroit too. After I moved back to the suburbs to live with my fiancé, I found myself missing many of the activities I used to love doing downtown. Here I have compiled my top ten favorite things to do downtown!
2. Have cocktails on a patio. There are a plethora of places to do this in Detroit now in the summertime. Some of my favorites are the amazing draft beers at Motor City Brewing Works and the delicious craft cocktails at Joe Muer Seafood (which boasts the best river view in the city, in my opinion!).
3. Eat a slice of pizza. For reals, there are so many delicious pizza places! My favorite? Hands down: Supino Pizzeria in Eastern Market. Their Bismarck thin crust pizza with prosciutto, roasted garlic, and egg is perhaps one of my favorite things ever.
4. Make a late night coney island trip. We all know that everyone picks sides: American or Lafayette? Well… you know the right answer.
6. Then, spend a Saturday afternoon at the Detroit Institute of Arts.
7. Travel to Greektown’s Astoria Pastry Shop for dessert. Don’t eat dinner before hand!
8. Check out Centaur Bar and play a game of pool up on the third floor. Don’t leave without trying an Afterglow martini!
9. Walk down the street a couple of blocks to Cliff Bell’s and listen to some late-night jazz. (This is a great place to grab dinner, too!)
10. End your night at Bucharest Grill for some late night shawarma.
I see a recurring theme here, actually… I think I just miss eating and drinking in Detroit. Oh well, those are the best things in life, right? 😉
If you are a native Detroiter, what is your favorite thing to do downtown? If not, what would you look forward to trying most from this list? Let me know in the comments below!